|Full Name||Vidyu Lekha Raman Suresh|
|Nickname||Vidyu Raman |
|Profession(s)||Film Actress, Comedian, and Theatre Artist|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 164 cm|
in meters– 1.64 m
in feet & inches– 5’4”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 65.3 kg|
in pounds– 143.96 lbs
|Debut||Tamil Film: Neethaane En Ponvasantham (2012) as “Jenny”|
Telugu Film: Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu (2012) as “Jenny”
Kannada Film: Raambo 2 (2018) as “Sheela”
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Best Female Comedian Run Raja Run (2014)|
• Nominated for Best Comedian Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru (2013)
• Nominated for Best Supporting Actress Neethaane En Ponvasantham (2012)
|Date of Birth||4 November 1991 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||29 years|
|Birthplace||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Hometown||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|School||• Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School|
• M.CTM. Chidambaram Chettyar International School Mylapore, Chennai
|College/University||M.O.P. Vaishnav College, Chennai|
|Educational Qualification||Degree in Visual Communication |
|Relationships & More|
|Engagement Date||26 August 2020 (Wednesday)|
|Fiance||Sanjay Watwani (an Entrepreneur)|
|Parents||Father-Mohan Raman (South Indian actor and a writer)|
- Vidyu Raman is a south Indian actress who has been entertaining the audiences with her fabulous comic thrills since 2012. According to Vidyu Raman, she always aspired to become a comic actress. She is known for her good comic timing.
- She has done theatres for seven years and also worked as a backstage artist and costume designer for the play “Swami & Friends” in the year 2010.
- In one of her interviews, the actress claims to be an introvert during her childhood, and according to her, she gradually transformed into an extrovert. According to Vidyu, during her schooling, she faced difficulty in mathematics and was not confident about it, but she worked hard for it. She was the cultural secretary and in-charge of extra-curricular activities in school during which she became more interested in theatres.
- She has also tried singing Tamil-Telugu bilingual “Malani 22 Palayamkottai”, she has sung it in two languages as she is fluent in both Tamil and Telugu languages.
- She debuted with Guatham Menon`s Tamil-Telugu bilingual film Neethaane En Ponvasantham (2012) and Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu (2012). Both films have boosted her acting career.
- Later, she worked in many movies in various languages such as Tamil, Telugu, and Kannad. She is also known for her many films such as Power Pandi (2017), Malini 22 Palayamkottai (2014) etc.
- Her cousin sister Gitanjali is married to a Tamil film director Selvaraghavan.
- In 2020, Vidyu participated in the Chennai marathon and finished 10km in 90 minutes. She considers it as an achievement for her as the actress had been trolled a lot about her fitness.
- Vidyu, in some of her interviews, has expressed her views on body shaming and how she has gone through it all. According to Vidyu, before her physical transformation, she had to face a lot of criticism and was mocked for her physical stature. Following this, the actress decided to shut everyone’s mouth. She made a humongous variation in her body weight. She weighed 77 kg in January and reduced up to 68 kg till the month of June. With this move, she left the audience awe-struck. Which also has inspired her fans and many other people towards fitness.
- In mid of January 2020, Vidyu was diagnosed with a huge gall stone in her gall bladder and immediate surgery was scheduled to remove the infected gall bladder completely. However, her fitness progress was hindered, and it took her a while to get through it.
- She has also quoted how difficult it was for her to get along this fitness path. She wrote
I remember that day. It was a Tamil movie’s audio launch and I couldn’t find anything to wear because nothing in my wardrobe itf me. So I just put on some stretchy leggings and covered myself with a shrug to hide the shame. Depression and anger took over and I thought “screw this! Why should I get slimmer! I don’t need to and I won’t!”
- However, with this ongoing turmoil in her head, Vidyu, in February 2019, first decided to shed off her extra kilos and follow a constant fitness regimen. The process was difficult and required a lot of focus and dedication to achieve this. Her major physical transformation took place during the lockdown amid the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic during which she invested most of her time to focus on her fitness, and she started following a strict workout regimen. She wrote,
20+ KGS DOWN – 86.5 kg to 65.3 kgs. It’s been a long & winding road. Filled with sweat and tears. When I look at the pic on the left it’s surreal that I ever looked like that. That I let myself get to being THAT unhealthy.”
- She started with naturopathy, Ayurveda, yoga and gradually, she shifted to keto and a low carb diet that helped her achieve this success.
I was told that I won’t get the roles I get today if I dropped weight. It points to a culture where the casting happens based on appearance and not based on one’s talent. When you hear it, you tend to develop an insecure feeling. I don’t know what the remedy is but I hope women continue to prove that talent speaks more than body measurements.”
- After her captivating physical transformation, she started getting sidelined by various filmmakers as they considered her overweight as an attribute for comic acts. According to her, this gives us an insight into the mentality in industry prevailing.
- According to Vidyu, her physical transformation is not the result of self-hate rather she has undergone this transformation for her fitness.
- She states that a lot of people believe that Vidyu focuses more on Telugu movies, but the fact is that the Telugu film industry has given her more recognition and appreciated the kind of work she does. She believes the Telugu film industry has given more opportunities to her, and the industry offers her better roles as compared to others. In the end, she only wants to be a part of the cinema and that makes her happy.
- Apart from her physical transformation, in 2020, she also made headlines for her Roka ceremony that took place on 26 August 2020 with Sanjay Watwani, a renowned Chennai- based .entrepreneur and dietician. Later, she shared a picture with her fiance dressed in traditional outfits; thanking all for the blessings and wrote,
We got Roka-Ed! @lowcard.india & I had our Roka Ceremony (formal announcement) on 26.08.20 in an intimate manner with close family around us. It was our lil’ ray of sunshine & we couldn’t be more grateful for the love we received. We wore masks & removed them for the pictures (before anyone asks!) Thank you all so much for showering us with your best wishes! The best is yet to come.”
- In 2016, Vidyu Raman, on her trip to Vienna with her friends, lost her passport and money. The incident took place in the hotel where she was residing. She was distracted by two strangers in the hotel lobby, and they snatched her bag which had her passport and money in it. She posted a series of tweets explaining the incident and wrote,
So I was not allowed to see the CCTV footage in the five-star hotel but the Austrian police saw it. A man who entered distracted me for a second. He asked me how to get to an address and by the time I said I don’t know. His friend came from behind and took it. Shocked. Hope embassy helps.”
She tweeted to the Prime Minister of India and Sushma Swaraj, Minister of external affairs and said,